Friday, July 25, 2008

rules


We have a lot of rules in this household. I limit how much tv they watch each day, they must read a little each day, during the summer they must do workbooks each day, no fast food, not a lot of junk food, no gum, no talking back, early to bed, and more.

I was just thinking that a lot of these rules make my life a lot harder. How much easier would my life be if I just had them sit in front of the TV all day. How much less time would I spent cooking if we just ate fast food. I imagine a life much easier than the one that I have, but at what cost to my children. With a household of six, rules are needed to provide some structure, I think without them it would be pure chaos.

I hope that in the long run all of these rules that we make them better people.

2 comments:

kim* said...

i think there is definitely a line between too many rules. but only you know ...

i knew a mom that had so many rules that her daughter was so stressed she kept pulling her eye brows out. it looked weird and it was so sad.

it got to the point that she would leave home and for got to close the screen door or not lock it and was about to cry she was so scared. her mother is not abusive but just had so many rules and so strict.

Unknown said...

I have two grown kids and I can say that you can never have too many rules...well...not really...but rules are what give the kids limits. My SIL is just now suffering from not giving her kids any rules. They are 18 and 19 and their future really scares me!