Friday, November 21, 2008

birthday treats


My oldest is going to be nine on Sunday (the youngest will be four in a few weeks). It is crazy how fast the time has gone by. He wanted to bring in a treat to share with his class today. I told him he could pick whatever he wanted to bring in and I would make it. His choice were toffee blondies. They are popular in this house, I have been making them for years. I hope that they were a hit today.

I doubled the recipe and baked them in a 9 x 13 pan. I had to adjust the cookie time.

TOFFEE BLONDIES
Food Everyday
October 2003

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-2/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup toffee bits

Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottom and sides of an 8-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil, with a bit of an overhang on two sides. Set aside.

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs, vanilla, and salt. With mixer on low speed, add flour, and beat until combined. Stir in toffee bits by hand.

Spread batter in prepared pan. Bake cake until golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from oven; cool completely in pan.

Grasping foil, lift cake from pan. Peel off foil. Using a serrated knife, cut into 16 squares. Store blondies in an airtight container at room temperature up to 5 days.

4 comments:

Marjorie said...

Yummy! Those look really good. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Sandra Williams said...

Yummmmmy! I think I just gained 10 lbs! I will def be making those, thanks for sharing the recipe!

cancersucks said...

They were a big hit! Happy Bday handsome boy.

cancersucks said...

What accident????