Tuesday, October 27, 2009

soup


I have been making a lot of soup lately. Three out of four of the kids like soup, and no. three will eat it.

I saw a recipe for a carrot soup on Rasing Foodies and thought I would give it a try using all of our carrots from the farm. I have been making my own stocks lately, so I used that as well. I changed her recipe a bit, but I have a new hit on my hands. No. three LOVED it. It really came out great. I served it with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkled with bacon and good crusty bread, perfect on a cold fall night.

CARROT SOUP
1/2 pound of bacon, diced
1/4 stick unsalted butter
2 onions, sliced
3 sprig thyme
2 pounds organic carrots, peeled and sliced
6 cups chicken stock

In a large stock pot cook the bacon until crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve for serving. Drain bacon fat leaving about three tablespoons in the pot.

Add butter to the pot and melt the butter over medium-low heat. When butter has melted add the onion and thyme. Continue cooking on medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Be sure to scrap up all of the brown bits from the bacon.

Add the carrots and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Pour in the stock and turn the heat to high. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat, add the salt, and simmer for 30-45 minutes.

Puree the soup in a blender or food processor or a stick blender (if you do not have one, you should invest in one, they are great) and return to pot. You may need to do this in several batches and be careful, as hot liquids will expand in the blender.

Heat until warmed through.

Serve topped with sour cream and bacon.

No comments: