Friday, December 11, 2009

cookies : white chocolate butterscotch cookies


I am testing a new cookie to add to the mix, white chocolate butterscotch. Last night I was going through all the magazines and books that I am using this holiday to make a list of what I still need to buy in order to get everything made and I spotted this recipe. I like to add at least one new cookie each year and take out one or two that my husband has on the bottom of his list. They have not been given approval yet, I have to wait for him to come home and let me know if they are good enough to go in, I am not a good tester, I don't really eat many of the cookies that I make. If they get a positive review I will freeze them and keep my fingers crossed that they freeze well.

I doubled the recipe and I made the cookies smaller than the recipe calls for and cut the baking time. It is reflected in the recipe below. Also, I never use vegetable shorting and was a little grossed out by it, but I thought it must be there for a reason and changing it to butter might change the cookies too much.

White chocolate butterscotch cookies
Adapted from The Martha Stewart Baking Handbook
(this is for a single batch, like I said I doubled it)

1-3/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup vegetable shorting
1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
8 ounces white chocolate pieces

Preheat over to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment (I use the mats).

In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda and set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, shortening, and brown sugar on medium until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until combined. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture in two batches, beating until combined. Stir in white chocolate.

Drop 1 tablespoon of dough on sheet about an inch apart. Bake until golden brown around edges, about 9 minutes. Let cool and sheet for 2 minutes then transfer to a wire rack.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.