Thursday, December 17, 2009

tortilla


Today has been a busy day. I had a few things to do in the morning, a meeting at school and then had to pick up no. four from pre-school (sadly no run today, a combo of very cold weather and not enough time). When we got home I had to finish up our Christmas cards (I made about thirty today) and started the dough for a cookie (it is not resting in the fridge), I wrapped the presents for all of the brownie leaders and the secret santa swap. Then I had to start dinner. I was planning to make my own corn torillas. I tried one batch, didn't come together, then I tryed a different corn flour and it tasted like dirt. I did not have enough time to run to the store to get some I did a fast google search for flour tortillas and found an easy recipe. I made the dough, rolled them out and cooked them. All I can say about them is that we will never buy them from the store again, they are that good.

Flour Tortillas
Makes about 16

3 cups unbleached flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
4-6 Tbsp. vegetable shortening or lard
about 1 1/4 cups warm water

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.

Add vegetable shortening. Use a fork or a pastry cutter to cut in the shortening or just use your hands.

Next add warm water a little at a time until your dough is soft and not sticky. You do not need very hot water.

Knead the dough for a few minutes.

Now you will pull off pieces of dough to form about 16 small dough balls. Let them rest for at least 10 minutes.

Heat a non-stick skillet. You will want to set it at medium to high heat. If it is too hot the tortillas will cook too fast.

Now you can roll out the dough with a rolling pin or a tortilla press. It is a good idea to dust each ball with a little flour just before you roll them out. Roll them out fairly thin.

Place rolled tortilla in the skillet, takes just a few seconds to cook. Flip to the other side. When they are done it should have lots of nice brown speckles. Place them in a towel. If you would like you can use a tortilla warmer to keep them warm longer.

They are ready to be served!

No comments: